Monday, May 21, 2007

Day Nine

I got up at 7:00 this morning and went for an hour run on the trail I like so much in Santa Fe. I was a little tired, but I handled the hills okay, even at the end. I think I’m finally starting to get acclimated.

Then I picked up breakfast in the hotel breakfast room—piƱon coffee, oatmeal and a hard-boiled egg. After I was showered, dressed, and packed up again, we were off. We went up into Hyde Park, one of the parks in the mountains around Santa Fe. It was beautiful up there.






















And there was still snow in some areas.

















We mostly scouted areas to camp on our next trip, since we wouldn’t have time for any more activities in the Santa Fe area.

After we came down off the mountain, we picked up a few supplies and lunch at Whole Foods and headed south to Albuquerque and my father’s house in Bosque.
























Our first mission upon arrival was to start the laundry. I don’t know how I ended up with so much dirty clothes, but working out each day really adds to the load. Once our clothes were washing, we had our Whole Foods lunch (I had a huge salad), and Dan read and took a nap and I did some things on the computer and then went and joined him.

I napped until about 6:30, when Dan woke me up. My father gave us a choice of dinner options, and since we weren’t very hungry after our late lunch, we went with spaghetti, salad and asparagus. After dinner, we went for a walk around the canal and post office road. I made friends with some horses, we saw some jackrabbits, and it was a nice evening to be out walking.

Tonight Dan and I planned the remainder of our trip. It looks like we’ll stay here tomorrow night and head out Wednesday, hitting White Sands and Carlsbad on our way back to Texas.

But for tomorrow, we’re going to go see the petroglyphs and try to take it easy. We’re tired of driving and it’s nice to be settled for a little while. Now if only I could get Dan and my father to quit gabbing at each other, maybe I could do a little writing or read some news and go to bed. I really treasure my hour of peace and quiet before going to bed. I drink my yogi tea, write or read a little, and enjoy some down time. At this rate, I’ll be up until 3:00 waiting. . .

1 comment:

Moby Dick said...

Gee, you have snow, green bushes, desert, cactus, where are you? I think I saw an episode of the Twilight Zone where the astronauts crashed their space-ship in a place like that.

Good luck getting back. You may be writing your next book about this vacation!!