Wednesday, May 16, 2007

Day Four

Today was pretty low-key. I got up early and went for a run on the trails again. It was colder than yesterday and I had to wear my fleece vest, although this was mainly due to the wind and not the cold itself.

I stopped in at the lobby to get a cup of coffee and check out what was for breakfast. I was pleasantly surprised to see they had blue corn atole! I had never had it before, so I ladled some into a bowl and poured a cup of piƱon coffee. I was loading up a tray to take upstairs when Dan showed up, also looking for breakfast. We had a nice breakfast together, then did our laundry at the on-site facility and got on the road just befor 11:00.

Our next mission was to find Dan some swim trunks for sitting in the Jacuzzi at the Bishop’s Lodge. The first place we went was too expensive for what we were after, and I got really annoyed when some bimbo took the one fitting room and started gabbing on her phone while she tried on clothes. You can’t tell me it’s just as fast to try on clothes using one hand as two. We finally left in disgust and went to Target.

We found the resort without too much trouble. It’s a pretty big complex, consisting of multiple adobe and pseudo-adobe buildings. Our room is in a building from the 1920s, and it has lots of interesting little details, which I’ll try to take a picture of tomorrow. We also have a balcony, which is nice.

Once we were settled in, we had lunch and made spa appointments. With time to kill, we did some hiking on trails around the property.

There was a nice creek on the property:

A dry arroyo to walk through:

Horses to see (and ride, if you want to):

I liked this simple, rustic fence:

And there were trails up into the mountains:

With great views:

Finally it was time for my massage, but much to my annoyance, the therapist didn’t show. The spa manager rescheduled me for the next morning, comping my massage and giving me a refund on our package deal. All very nice, but at the time all I could think was how getting a deep tissue massage in the morning would mess up our plan to hike and camp.

I took a nap while Dan went for his treatment and he woke me up late, suggesting room service. I thought the room service menu was kind of limited, though, so we went to the dining room instead. I had a very nice vegetarian plate and flan.

After dinner, we spent some time on our balcony, watching the clouds roll in. The weather report for tomorrow looks like rain so camping is probably out. Maybe getting my massage tomorrow won’t be so bad after all. I don't know what we'll do tomorrow after breakfast and my massage, but I think we should start heading toward Raton, where my women's camp starts on Friday.

More tomorrow, if I have internet!

1 comment:

Crabby McSlacker said...

If the massage gods have declared a Morning massage (and seen that it was comped!) I'd take it as a sign that you deserve some pampering. Hike another day, is what Crabby would advise.

I'm so jealous I can barely stand it, but thanks for the pictures!