Thursday, June 15, 2006

Day Twelve

Tonight we’re in San Antonio. We woke up in Fort Stockton later than we had wanted to (we each thought the other had set the alarm clock) and it was quite a drive.














It was interesting to watch the landscape change as we headed east, though.














I have never been bored on car trips, not even as a child. I can watch the scenery go by and find it endlessly fascinating and meditative.







































We stopped in Kerrville, which I hadn’t seen since the late ‘70s. It’s changed a bit since then, to put it mildly. We stopped at a way cool bookstore in the historic area of town and browsed for awhile. We each ended up buying several books, so along with the books I bought in late spring, I should be set now for… oh, at least a month or two!

We drove into San Antonio and wandered the streets of downtown for a bit, bickering over where to stay. But we finally picked a place and settled in. Dan took a shower, I made sure the wireless internet service worked (very important!) and then we set off to find dinner.

It’s funny, but every time I return to the Riverwalk, I’m more disappointed than the last time. This had to be the worst and I’m not sure if I’ll ever come back. In the 30 years I’ve been coming here (last time was in ’99), I’ve seen it grow more and more commercial, more and more full of cattle-type tourists and it’s just not fun any more. It’s always been a tourist draw, but the Riverwalk used to have a relaxed vibe to it and lots of quaint little eateries. Now it’s nearly all chain restaurants and waddling, slack-jawed people in mullets who look like they just walked out of the local Walmart.

Okay, that’s enough bitchiness from me, I guess. And really, the Riverwalk and Alamo are sort of Texas requirements—anyone in Texas who hasn’t seen them yet really must. And after that, find something more real to do with your vacation. Make this a one-day visit and then go someplace else.

We found a place to eat that wasn’t obviously a chain or overrun with people who cannot have a good time without drinking fishbowl-size margaritas. We had a nice dinner then wandered the less crowded, unfashionable end of the Riverwalk a bit. Then we went up to the street level and I took Dan to the historic St. Anthony’s hotel, to see how he would react. To my amusement, he picked up on the ghosts immediately. I wish I could sense things, so then I could be convinced. As it is, I just have to be content with the fact that Dan always picks up on things that he has no prior knowledge of. Whether it’s ghosts or something else, I have no idea.

After our little ghost-hunting episode, we came back to our room and sat on our balcony overlooking the river.


















It was nice to sit outside and watch the crowds thin out below and the sky gradually darken. We were feeling a bit culture-shocked to be back in a big city, so it was nice to be up high, away from all the fuss.

I did a short workout in the fitness center tonight and I hope to do so again in the morning. Our plan for tomorrow is to look for my old house here in San Antonio and then head to Yorktown, which is near Goliad and where Dan’s mother grew up. Then we’ll come back to Houston via Victoria.

I wonder if the animals have missed me?

1 comment:

L&D said...

I'm sure the animals have missed you.