Saturday, May 24, 2008

Day One

Our first day on the road, and not much to say, really.

We got out the door around 10:00 and dropped off Tid at the bunny spa.











I feel guilty about it because she’s doing so well and I’m sure she’s wondering what she did to end up back at the vet’s, but she’s in good hands and will get a special bunny spa salad every day.

We drove without stopping to just outside of Kerrville where we had a picnic snack at a rest stop. Texas has some very nice rest stops, complete with wireless internet. We didn’t have time to boot up the laptop, but it was fun to think about as I ate my lunch that I heated in foil in the sunshine on the dashboard. Because of the overcast day, my lunch didn’t get as hot as I would’ve liked, but it was adequate. Note to self: start earlier on cloudy days.

I didn’t take a lot of pictures of the hill country because the day was so hazy, making everything look washed-out and colorless. I did get this amusing shot at the rest stop, though, proving that Texas rest stops provide for the entertainment needs of dogs as well as humans.











When we finally got to our hotel in San Angelo, I did a 30-minute treadmill workout before dinner. It’s not much when you’re used to running for four hours on a typical Saturday, but it’s better than nothing.

Dan wants to head out around 7:00 tomorrow, since we’ve got nearly 500 miles to cover to get to my father’s place in New Mexico. I would like to get in an early elliptical workout before we leave, so that means getting up no later than 5:30. We’ll see about that. I just know that if I don’t do it, I might not get another chance to work out tomorrow and it’s way too early in my vacation to start slacking on workouts. That will come later.

Gonna try to do a little writing for my novel blog now. I expect to have internet access at my Dad’s tomorrow night, even if it’s dial-up, so hopefully the weather will have been nice and I’ll have good pics to share and some exciting (strictly in the fun sense of the word) adventures to share.

6 comments:

Thomma Lyn said...

Sounds like you're off to a great start! Looking forward to hearing more about your adventures. :)

the Bag Lady said...

Let's hope for a little more sun for your dashboard oven... :)

Love the fire hydrant at the rest-stop, but wasn't crazy about the "watch for snakes" part of the sign!

Can hardly wait until "we" get to New Mexico (never been there, so hoping for lots of photos!)

The Bunns said...

Tid's at the spa??? Dang .. why don't our people go away more often???

RG said...

Well, first, 11 bunnies to the spa is Expensive!

Enjoying the trip so far! If possible, add just a bit about where the places are .. saves me searching across Texas on my road atlas!

Great willpower to get up and find a workout. I bet it is good for the brain and psychology as well!

Sometimes coming home from a fishing trip we have wrapped some fish, herbs and butter in foil and put it on the engine .. a couple hours and Yum!

Una said...

loved last year's blog - not sure how I missed it.

Have a safe trip, I'll be following along. Tidbit will be fine at the spa!

Thanks for posting the rest stop for dogs. What a riot :)

Anonymous said...

Glad Tid is at the spa where you won't worry (as much!) about her

Sounds like a great trip is beginning - i LOVE road trips! july O'Reilly and I are driving up north to visit his brother that I fostered when I took them both in! can't wait