Friday, May 28, 2004

Off To Connecticut

I got up early and hurried around finishing packing while having a light breakfast of some honeydew melon. I wasn't really hungry but it would just go bad if someone didn't eat it. We got to the airport in good time and I finished off my breakfast with coffee and yogurt while we waited for our flight. Dan, ever the less calorie-conscious, had some breakfast tacos. He figured if there was a line of pilots and flight attendants trying to get some, they must be good. He said they were okay, but not like what you can get in the barrio. No surprise there.

Our flight to Philadelphia was uneventful except for the non-stop chatter of the four year old behind us. Thank goodness for earplugs! I don't want to listen to someone who never shuts up, much less someone who can't tell me something new.

The Philadelphia airport was impressive. It was like a shopping mall with every type of store imaginable. I browsed the mall a bit just out of curiosity, and then Dan and I had lunch. I had made wraps of blackened chicken, goat cheese, calamata olive spread, lettuce and shredded carrots and zucchini on whole wheat tortillas. I also brought crackers and granola bars, so we ate pretty well.

Finally we got on our flight to Providence, RI, which was quiet and uneventful in spite of being surrounded by infants. They must have all been from some other planet because not a single one started shrieking from pressure in their ears. Odd.

Once in Providence, we were a little confused how to pick up our car, but we finally figured it out and got on the road to Connecticut. We stopped in Mystic to shop at our favorite bookstore, which didn't seem to have as many must-buys as in other years. Maybe they have a new buyer. Nevertheless, we got a few books, including two from my wish list. Then we got coffee and oatmeal cookies and headed toward Cheshire, eating the last of the chicken wraps on the way.

We got to Cheshire early enough to go for a walk with John and Susan at the rail trail. We then went to dinner at Cheshire Pizza, where I had an enormous Greek salad and service was abysmally slow. Well, the company was good, so it didn't matter too much. Back at home, we visited a bit and I frosted Grandma's cake so it would be ready the next day. Sadly, we learned that our little buddy of previous years, John and Susan's black and white cat, had passed away. It hardly seemed the same without her there. She had been such good company in other years, helping us not miss our own cat so much. We'll miss you, sweetie!

No comments: